I made this dish on Sunday for two carnivores and they both loved it. This is a favorite at our house. :)
Adapted from Black Beans and Brown Rice Extravaganza from The Engine 2 Diet
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
- 2 cans of pinto beans (or bean of choice), rinsed and drained
- 1 cup of vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp of Braggs liquid aminos, soy sauce, or tamari
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 2-3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can of Rotel
- 1 bunch of green onions, chopped
- 1 can of sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 cup of corn: fresh, frozen (thawed), or canned (drained)
- 2 bell peppers (green, red, or yellow), seeded and chopped
- 1 bunch of cilantro, rinsed and chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups of cooked brown rice
- dairy-free cheese (optional)
- tortilla chips or tortillas (optional)
Method1. Heat beans with stock, Braggs/soy sauce/tamari, and chili powder in a medium saucepan.
2. Combine cooked brown rice with Rotel.
3. Prepare vegetables and place in individual bowls.
4. To assemble your bowl: place rice in your bowl or on your plate followed by beans and your choice of veggies.
5. Serve with extras such as: salsa (a must!), dairy-free cheese, more Braggs/soy sauce/tamari, and tortilla chips or tortillas.
Cooking the beans and rice.
Vegetables are ready to go!