Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Magazine
(I cut this recipe out a few years ago)
Ingredients (Serves 3-4)
- 8 ounces of whole grain pasta
- 2 cups of broccoli florets
- 1 can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 cup plus 3 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 cup of fresh basil, chopped
- 2 slices of whole grain bread, cut into cubes
- 1/4 tsp of red pepper
- 1/2 tsp of salt
1. In a large pot, cook pasta according to package directions-adding broccoli during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Save 3/4 cup of pasta water then drain pasta and broccoli. Return pasta and broccoli to pot.
2. While pasta is cooking combine beans, garlic, and 3 Tbsp of olive oil in a medium bowl. Mash beans with garlic and olive oil. Then stir in basil (save some for garnish), pasta water, and salt. Stir bean mixture into pasta and broccoli. Keep warm.
3. To create croutons for your pasta, heat 1/8 cup of olive oil in a skillet. Add bread cubes and red pepper. Cook over medium heat stirring frequently. Continue cooking for a few minutes or until croutons are browned. Top pasta with croutons and extra chopped basil.