This week has been a little trying, but I am moving forward with lots of optimism! Last night I really wanted something comforting and I remembered this recipe I made a few months ago. It was exactly what I needed. This time I left out the cheese the original recipe called for and I didn't miss it one bit! As always, feel free to modify the recipe to suit your dietary needs and preferences!
Adapted from this recipe at Iowa Girl Eats
- 1 3/4 cup of vegetable stock or broth
- 1 cup of quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 small zucchinis, sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 2 ears of corn, kernels cut off the cob (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup of red onion, chopped or two green onions (ends removed), sliced thin
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 Tbsp of fresh basil, chopped, or 1 Tbsp dried
- salt and pepper to taste
Honey Lemon Vinaigrette
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp of honey (or may sub agave for strict vegans)
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of pepper
MethodIn a saucepan, bring vegetable broth to a boil. Add quinoa and cover. Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for 20-25 min or until all liquid is absorbed/quinoa is tender.
While quinoa is cooking, combine all ingredients for the vinaigrette in a small bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
Next, heat EVOO in a large skillet. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 sec-1 min. Add zucchini, carrots, corn, onion, salt and pepper. Saute until veggies are tender, about 5-10 minutes.
Once veggies are tender, add half of quinoa and half of the vinaigrette to the skillet. Stir to combine and cook for an additional minute.
Last, add remaining quinoa, tomato, and basil to the skillet. Stir gently to combine and add more salt and pepper to taste. Remove skillet from heat and allow to cool 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!