- 1 cup quinoa (I used an organic rainbow quinoa)
- 2 cups water
- ½ cucumber peeled and cut into julienne strips
- 1 carrot shredded or cut into julienne strips
- 1 red bell pepper, deseeded and cut into julienne strips
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped, plus additional for garnish
- 3 T smooth peanut butter
- 3 T rice vinegar
- 2 T tamari or soy sauce
- ½ tsp hot red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- chopped peanuts (optional)
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine peanut butter, vinegar, soy sauce, hot red pepper flakes, and garlic. Add enough hot tap water (about 1-2 tablespoons) to thin the mixture to sauce consistency.
- When quinoa is ready, transfer it to the bowl, along with the veggies and cilantro, and toss to combine.
- Can be served immediately, but the original recipe suggested refrigerating for 30 minutes prior to eating.
- Garnish with additional cilantro, peanuts, and serve with addtional tamari, Bragg's, or soy sauce to taste.